6.01.2009

New York City

I realize I've been awfully quiet recently. About two weeks ago, moving took over my life and I'm just now settling down in my new home. Granted that I've been here a week now.. it's taken me that long to stop wandering the city every day like a star-crazed tourist.

Ok, I lied. I'm still doing that, but the urge is calming down a little. Aside from being consumed with the moving process and the new city adventuring process, there hasn't been much to update on the NYCTF front. I finally landed one classroom observation, and have another one in the works. I'm hoping to get at least one more in the next two weeks, as I'd like to get as much experience in while I have the downtime to do so. I'm so fortunate I was able to move here several weeks before pre-service training kicks off - I was right in my estimation that it would take me that long to get aquainted with life in the city and do any decent amount of networking in a place where I know hardly anyone.

The only other report I have is that Saturday I got to meet up with a few other Cohort 18 Fellows, including thirdgenteacher. We all got to share our concerns going into the program, swap snippets of advice we'd gleaned from others, and exchange email addresses so we can keep in touch in the future. As a friend of mine from Cohort 16 said, it's good to get to know people ahead of time, because come June 15th, if they're not in your concentration and at your university, you'll never see them again. I can't wait to hear how this process goes for the people I met Saturday, and I really do hope we'll keep in touch.

The math and science immersion Fellows start today, and I hope they have a great first day. We non-immersion folk start in two weeks, and in the next few days I'll be tying together some metaphorical loose ends that I left hanging around the time I sold all my furniture in Arkansas.

Oh, Arkansas. I kind of miss it sometimes, and I'm sure I'll miss it more in the weeks ahead, but for now I'm happy and excited to be where I am.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, R,

It was great meeting you on Saturday. I too hope we'll all keep in touch, and I also hope to hear from your friend in Cohort 16 how her year's been.

I did a demo lesson on metaphors today. I thought it went really well but I'm not so sure that the staff thought so.

Hope your observations are enlightening!

-ThirdGen

Anonymous said...

Hi, R.

It's nice to see you blogging again. I met you on Saturday and wanted to let you know that I started the Immersion today. It was a very engaging day filled with a lot of activities, tips, advice, and info. The instructor is really good and shared a lot with us. The other immersion Fellows and I got to do a lot of hands-on work. I think you said that we were assigned to the same school. If so, I'll probably see you around.

-A

R said...

Thirdgen,
Her year has gone well by all accounts. She's ready for a break, but she has great kids and seems to have a pretty good administration as well. All in all, I think she's had a pretty good experience thus far. Was your demo lesson for an interview, or a visit? Regardless, I'm sure you did just fine!

A,
I hope your first week went well! And yes, I'm also assigned to Lehman, so hopefully I will run into you again at some point.