10.16.2009

you know you're at an urban school when..

One of the candidates for student council president opens her speech by saying, "Yo, I'ma hold it down for y'all, aight?" amid whispers in the audience of various students encouraging each other to "pull a Kanye."

The only other noteworthy thing about today was that one of my students, who previously had been having difficulty with the concepts in my chemistry class and often got frustrated, is suddenly understanding the material. Something clicked with him in the past few days, and he's been very vocal about it. He's the first to answer questions in his class, and he explains problems to anyone around him who needs help, whether they ask for it or not. Today he sat back towards the end of class and said, "You know, I'm finally understanding chemistry."

I don't think I got a lot right this week. In fact, I know I got a lot wrong. It wasn't really a good week in general, but at least one kid got something out of it.

3 comments:

Mr. Dugong said...

Keep up the good work!

Cam or Zilla said...

Awesome

crackedchalkboard said...

It's the small victories that make it worth it. This is especially true with poor urban schools, where those small victories may be FIRST victories for these kids.